Services » Finance


This section includes:

Commercial Water

Irish Water is now your contact point for all water services queries, including account management and billing.

  • There are no changes to your charges or billing frequency.
  • Irish Water will issue your next water services bill.
  • From now, please make all payments to Irish Water

For further information, visit

For all queries, including billing, payments and customer service, contact us by:

Telephone:         1850 778 778 (9am-5.30pm Mon-Fri)


Twitter:               @IWCare

Back to top

House Loans

This section is responsible for the collection of House Loan Repayments from 1,200 borrowers. There are a number of loan types including

  • SDA,
  • Shared Ownership,
  • Low Rise Mortgage,
  • Reconstruction,
  • Affordable Housing,
  • Convertiable and Income Related.

More information on the types of housing schemes is available on the Housing Capital webpages.

Queries with Housing Loan Accounts should be directed to 4924304 or 4924261 or 4924184.

Payment Methods

Housing Loan payments can be made by

  • Cash or Cheque at the Payments Office, Ground Floor, City Hall.
  • Visa Debit Card at the Payments Office or by telephone.
  • Payment can also be made through most Credit Union branches,
  • Standing Order or by Direct Debit. When paying by Standing Order or Direct Debit it is necessary to confirm the details of payment with Council Staff.

Managing Mortgage Arrears


Are you having difficulty with your Mortgage Repayments? The most important action you can take is to talk to us now.

Cork City Council has a policy of early intervention for mortgage accounts that fall into arrears. The Council is committed to working with our customers who are currently experiencing financial problems, or feel they may soon experience problems with their mortgage repayments.

Do not ignore the problem

If you receive any correspondence in relation to mortgage arrears please do not ignore it. Your mortgage repayment must be your priority debt, you need to pay it before any other debts you may have. Cork City Council has a dedicated mortgage arrears section who will work with our customers who are experiencing problems with their mortgage repayments. Our staff can discuss your circumstances with a view to making an arrangement to pay your mortgage and arrears that is both suitable to both you and the Council.

Mortgage Arrears Resolution Process (MARP)

Cork City Council has introduced a programme called the Mortgage Arrears Resolution Process (MARP) to provide help to borrowers who are having difficulty in meeting their repayments.

Various options are available  - Please see  Guide to resolving your mortgage arrears problem  

As part of the MARP you are required to complete a Standard Financial Statement (SFS)

SFS Checklist and Explanatory Notes

If you require any assistance in completing the SFS, Cork City Council has staff available to help with your queries.

Cork City Council cannot:

  • Ignore the fact that you may be in arrears
  • Write off your arrears
  • Ignore broken arrangements

Actions you can take:

  • Contact Cork City Council mortgage arrears section immediately at telephone no.: 0214924261 or e-mail us at
  • Contact the financial institutes you have other debts with a view to agreeing revised repayment 
  • Visit MABS website at
  • Contact your local Social Welfare Office
  • Contact your local Community Welfare Officer
  • Gather your income and expenditure details e.g.: payslips, social welfare details, details of other loans, bank statements




Your home may be at risk if you don't keep up repayments on a mortgage or any other loans secured on it.

Waste Collection

Cork City Council has transferred its waste collection service for both domestic and non-domestic customers to Country Clean Recycling, The Mill, Castletownroche, Mallow, Co. Cork with effect from Monday, 15th August 2011. Enquiries concerning any aspect of waste collection services should be made to Country Clean Recycling at (022) 46848 or to

Back to top

Back to top

General Debtors

Sources of Income administered by this section include charges for usage of a wide variety of Cork City Council services.

Charges include fees for road reinstatements, use of the City’s Landfill Site, burial grounds, swimming pools, charges are as also levied for water pollution licences.

Derelict Site Levies and Leashold Rents also come under this section.

Bills are issued according to the type of service in question, invoices are issued on monthly, quarterly or annual basis.

All Queries relating to General Debtor Accounts can be directed to 4924415.

Payment Methods

Payment can be made by cheque or cash to the Payments Office, Cork City Council, City Hall or by Standing Order. Before setting up a Standing Order it is advisable to first discuss the details with Council Staff.

Back to top

NPPR Office Opening Hours

9.00am to 1.00pm Monday to Friday.

Non Principal Private Residence (NPPR) FAQ's

What is the NPPR (Non Principal Private Residence) charge?
The Local Government (Charges) Act 2009 introduces a 200 Euro annual charge on non principal private residences, payable by the owner(s) of the NPPR to the Local Authority in whose area the property concerned is located. A non principal private residence is any dwelling which is not the owner's normal home.

What types of properties are liable for the NPPR charge?
All residential property is liable for the charge.

 However the following are exempt:

-         Principal private Residence

-         Local authority and Social Housing

-         Some heritage buildings

-         Residential property liable for commercial rates

-         In certain circumstances, joint ownership of a property after a divorce or separation agreement.

-         Newly constructed but unsold buildings that are part of trading stock of business.

-         Granny Flats

-         Vacated due to incapacitation

-         Transitional – changing residence.

The main types of residential property that are liable for the charge are private rented property, vacant property (except new but unsold residences) and holiday homes.

Who can I contact to discuss if my property is liable?
You should contact the Finance Dept  at ext 4633 if you are in any doubt about the liability of your property.

When does the charge apply? What's a liability date?
See above in relation to the types of property to which the charge applies

Liability to pay the charge is determined on the basis of ownership of the property in question on a single day each year. This date is called the "liability date". For 2011, 31st March has been set as the liability date. The charge must be paid within three months of the liability date (by 30th June in 2011).

How much is the charge?
The charge is set at an annual rate of 200 Euro in 2011 per residence but late payment can incur a significant fee - see below.

How can I pay the charge?
You can pay the charge at the website . You will need a credit or debit card to pay the charge online.

Cork City Council will also accept completed NPPR registration forms. The payment types accepted with a registration form are credit card, debit card, bank draft, postal order and cheque. Payment should be made out to "LGCSB NPPR" and NOT to Cork City Council. You must also make a declaration of ownership of the property in question - see below.

What's a "late payment fee"?
The Act provides that, if a charge is not paid within a month after the last date for payment, a late payment fee will apply for every month or part of month that the 200 Euro charge remains unpaid. For 2011, this means that the late payment fee will apply to all payments made after 30th June 2011. The late payment fee amounts to 20 Euro per month or part of a month. The late payment fee will continue to roll up as long as the charge remains unpaid and the amount involved can be substantial.

What happens if I don't pay?
A person who does not pay a charge within the relevant three month period leaves themselves open to prosecution by the Local Authority to whom the payment is due. A late payment fee will also arise if payment is not made within the one month grace period - see above. Furthermore, both the 200 Euro charge and any accumulated late payment fee will be a charge against the property concerned. This is likely to lead to difficulties in selling the residential property as the person buying it would become liable for any charges and fees outstanding in respect of the property concerned.

Other Questions

What's a declaration and what information must I provide?
You must also declare your liability for the charge when you are making the 200 Euro payment. This declaration can be made through the web-site or in writing on the approved form. In summary, you must provide the:
Name of the owner of the property,
Address of the property,
Address for correspondence of the owner of the property
Personal Public Service Number of the owner of the property in the case of a private ownership
Tax reference of the owner where the owner is a company.

A tax reference number for a company can be either a reference number on any return of income form or notice of assessment issued to the company by the Revenue Commissioners or the registration of the company under the Companies Acts.

What do I need to pay my NPPR property charge online?
To pay your NPPR charge online you will need (1) your PPS number(if individual) or tax reference number(if company); (2) the address of your NPPR property or properties and (3) your debit card or credit card details.

Can I pay for multiple properties online?
Yes, you can pay for multiple properties in the online system.

How will I receive my receipt?
You can print off your receipt from the online system when you complete payment or a receipt may be emailed to the email address that you provided.

My Computer crashed while I was paying - what do I do?
If you received the email with your PIN then you should log in to the system. On the NPPR details page you can check whether the payment was successful for each of your properties. If it was not successful you can proceed again to pay online for the relevant NPPRs. If you are unable to do this or you have any technical difficulties please contact NPPR technical support at .

Who pays the charge where a property liable for the charge is owned jointly?
Liability falls on all co-owners but payment by any one co-owner discharges the liability of all co-owners.

I own a mobile home. Is this liable for the charge?
A mobile home is not liable for the 200 Euro charge.

I own an apartment/bedsit - am I liable for the charge?
Apartments and bedsits are liable for the charge. Unless one of the exemptions apply in your case (e.g. it's your principal private residence), you will be liable for the charge.

I'm moving house and own two properties on a temporary basis - do I still need to pay the charge?
The exemption in respect of a principal, private residence applies in respect of one property only but the Act does permit the payment of a refund in certain circumstances where a person owns two properties on a liability date. The refund may apply where a person, in the course of moving house, owns two properties for a temporary period.

As stated, only one property can be a person's principal private residence at any given time, and a charge must be paid where a person owns a second property on a liability date even where this has been acquired as part of the process of moving house. A refund can be applied for where the second property was acquired within the year previous to the liability date in question and where the first property is disposed of within six months of the liability date in question. Owner can apply in writing to their local authority for a refund.

I'm divorced/separated - am I liable to pay the charge?
If a person is divorced or separated (judicial separation agreement having been granted) they will not be liable to pay the charge where they reside in what used to be the family home as their existing principal private residence. Where the other party to the divorce or separation agreement does not reside in the original family home but retains an interest in the ownership of the property on foot of the divorce or separation agreement, the Act provides that this person will not be liable for the charge in respect of the interest that they retain in what used to be the family home.

Is there an exemption for a person who had had to be taken into care because he/she is incapacitated due to illness, and who retains ownership of their house or apartment?
If a person has had to vacate their principal private residence (which they own) due to long-term incapacitation arising from physical or mental illness, the property is exempt from the charge irrespective of the use to which it is subsequently put. The exemption applies irrespective of whether they live in a nursing home or care centre, or whether they live with, and are cared for, by relatives. The only condition is that they must not own the property in which they now reside.

I own a 'granny flat' in which my parents live - am I liable for the 200 Euro charge?
Granny flats and similar dwellings are exempt subject to a number of conditions. The exemption applies to a dwelling in which a relative (or a relative of a spouse or partner) lives if it is provided free of rent and if it is located no more than two kilometres from the residence of the owner.

NPPR Registration Form - Additional Properties to be Registered (NPPR13A)(416KB)

NPPR Registration Form - Additional Properties to be Removed (NPPR13D)(419KB)

NPPR Registration Form - New Customer Registration Form (NPPR13N)(725KB)

NPPR Registration Form - Existing Customer 2013 Renewal Form (NPPR13R)(658KB)

Réadmhaoine Breise Le Bheith Cláraithe (NPPR13A)(415KB)

Réadmhaoine Breise Le Bheith Bainte (NPPR13D)(463KB)

Foirm Chlárúcháin Custaiméara Nua (NPPR13N)(645KB)

Custaiméir Reatha Foirm Athnuachana 2013 (NPPR13R)(668KB)